At some point, when someone catches your interest, you begin to wonder, “Is she (or he) really interested in me?” Sometimes it can be difficult to tell with certainty. There are many instances where both men and women are “nice,” but only because they are generally nice, or because the situation calls for nice behavior (as is often the case at work or school). Unfortunately, sometimes people can be manipulative or narcissistic and are only nice in order to get attention, admiration or other favors, not because they have genuine affection or caring for you. So how do you tell the difference?
Fortunately, even when you don’t know someone well, there are key indicators that will give you an idea if someone is just being nice or if they are actually interested in getting to know you better. Some of these indicators are gender specific, some universal. The more you see evidence of the indicators listed below, the more likely your person of interest is interested in you as well.
1. They make eye contact.
2. They smile when you are together.
3. They find reasons to talk, and take the time to see you, call or text you and continue to do so over time.
4. They listen to you and care about your story.
5. They make an effort to look their best.
6. They may seem either a bit over confident or a bit uncomfortable or unsure of themselves, because they care to make a good impression.
7. They laugh at your jokes (female) or they make jokes and tease you (male).
8. They compliment you.
10. They ask you out.
Over time, when you have had more and more opportunities to spend time together look for these clues to see if they have become very interested or may be falling in love:
1. They don’t talk about other opposite sex relationships, they are focused on you.
2. They let down their guard, become less superficial in conversation and begin to reveal their true self.
3. They introduce you to their friends and their friends have already heard about you.
4. They introduce you to their family.
5. They give you gifts.
6. They are consistent. Their actions match their words.
7. They may begin to introduce you with a title (girlfriend/boyfriend).
8. You discover more compatibility and shared interests as time passes.
9. You take a trip together and feel at ease at all times and enjoy yourself.
We hope this list of key indicators will help you the next time you find yourself interested in someone, but are wondering if that person feels the same and whether or not you have continued to keep their interest. We would love to hear from you. What trusted indicators to you rely on to confirm someone’s interest in you? Join in the discussion in our comments section.